Friday, February 12, 2010

Alton's Sardine Recipe

So, as you are almost assuredly aware, DC has set all new records for snow fall in the last week which has led Liz and I to be stuck in the apartment for most of the week. Ideally, this would have led us to getting every apartment cleaning goal we've ever had done. In reality, when you're stuck all day in one place, you mostly just past the time. But Liz did make yummy cupcakes early on, which she'll post about later. But, today while she is at work, I tried sardines for the first time.

I was inspired by a diet food episode Atlon Brown had done a couple weeks back which included some recipes for using sardines. After the show, I did some additional research and found out that sardines are very low in mercury as seafood goes because they are at the bottom of the food chain and have such a short life span. Before the show, I had never had them, and had generally forgot they exist. And since Liz seemed less than enthused about trying this one out, I decided to have it for lunch on my AWS day. Here's a link to the recipe:


First off, I pretty much did everything in this recipe wrong. I had just got home from a Crossfit workout, and as I've found, cooking post-CrossFit goes better sometimes than others. Being hungry and tried is not the best combination for following directions well. As the recipes states, you are supposed to reserve the olive oil in the container, I poured it down the drain (and added in fresh olive oil to compensate). You're supposed to wait 45 minutes to an hour, I waited 5, maybe. You're supposed to spread olive oil on one side of bread, I did both. We also didn't have fresh parsley, so I used dried; no sherry vinegar, so I used apple; and no fresh lemons, so I used lemon juice. I also totally blanked on salt.

Despite all of this it came out alright.


(Again, I forgot to take pictures before I started eating.) It definitely not the prettiest thing I've made and I have to say based on the reactions that people normally give to sardines, I was prepared to take one bite and toss it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I actually liked it. The avocado, parsley, sardines, olive oil, and bread share the flavor equally; so while it has some fishy in taste, it is not overpowering. I recommend picking a good bread since that is what your tongue will hit first. We had a little bit of country what bread-maker bread left over which worked out well.

Some other random notes:

If I could toast bread at work (which I currently cannot do) I could have a minimal cook meal on a work day... if people don't object to the smell of fish.

Fullness Factor: The fat of the avocado and the density of the bread makes this meal very satisfying while being pretty healthy. Sardines are a great and natural source of omega-3s which are often left out or under-represented in most American diets (including mine).

So now with this meal, I can update our list of new foods that we've tried this year:
  • Kale
  • Acorn Squash
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Sardines! (pat only)
Alright, back to my lectures.

No comments:

Post a Comment