Monday, March 1, 2010

Sweet Potato Soup

Tonight I made something that was outright good. Not that the other things weren't good, but this was "I want to share with this other people RIGHT NOW" good.

Here are the ingredients (link to full recipe):
  • Olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 2-inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced - about 1/4 cup
  • 3 large sweet potatoes, about 2 1/2 pounds - peeled and cubed
  • 3 tablespoons light miso
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • Salt and pepper

First prepping the ingredients:



Now that I had all of our ingredients ready to go, I sauted the onion and ginger in olive oil until the red onion is nearly translucent. We didn't have fresh ginger so I used 1 tsp of ground ginger instead. So at this point I'm fying onion, ginger, and garlic - so the kitchen is very aromatic.


And now the sweet potatoes and miso:

I sauted it all a little longer and then added 4 cups of vegetable broth and let it simmer for 25 minutes.


Okay, now one DVR Simpsons episode later, it's time for the fun part. This is my second time making soup and my second time using the immersion blender. Look at it go... (Liz helped)



Now to just mix in 1 cup whole milk and some salt & pepper and we have soup!


I've never had miso before to my knowledge, but I'm guessing that is flavor that is pulling this all together and making it awesome. The garlic provides a nice background flavor and the onion has occasional but somewhat understated presence. It is also filling but pretty much guilt free as the only fatty ingredient in the 2 quarts of soup is the 1 cup of whole milk. It also has a lightly spicy aftertaste.

Liz's quote says it all "this is so good that I'm not missing that we don't have bread".

No comments:

Post a Comment